The Nottingham Young Quakers group (NYQ) is for those aged between 18 and 35(ish) who are interested in Quakerism. You don’t need to be a Quaker or religious, just interested in spirituality and exploring your own thoughts & values. We meet regularly to socialise together and take part in spiritual discussions. We also have a Facebook group.
We’re a diverse group, and all are welcome. Here’s some information about our members:
- Some have been Quaker since they were children, others have become Quakers as adults, others aren’t Quaker at all
- Some believe in God and some are atheists and some are in between
- Many of us are part of the LGBTQ community
- Some of us are students and some of us are employed and some of us are parents
- Some of us try to come to every event and others come once in a while when they can fit us in
- Several of us have disabilities, including physical, mental, and learning difficulties
- We have a range of dietary requirements including vegans, vegetarians, gluten-free and soy-free – we cater for all! View our NYQ Recipe Book here.
- Some of us attend Meeting for Worship on a Sunday morning, others have never been before
- Some of us helpfully write articles about our experiences as part of the NYQ group – take a look here for more information! If you’re more of a visual person, have a look at our lovely faces here.
We organise lots of events! Head here for what’s coming up on our events calendar.
Quakers have some core values: peace, equality, truth & integrity, and simplicity & sustainability. These aren’t just words, but what we call testimonies – values that we try to live by and let us challenge us. Our events are often linked to these values. Find out more these here
If you’re interested in coming along to our group but want to know more about Quakers, this BBC guide is really useful. Or just take the plunge – we’re a friendly bunch and always willing to answer questions!
If you want to get in touch before you come along or have any further questions get in touch.